The members of the proposed Dumbleyung Road Board Working Committee included Messrs Cronin (Bunkin), Ebsary (Rosehill), Martin (Nippering), Rankin (Dongolocking) and West (Ballaying).
They were discontented with the conditions of the roads for wallet bark and wheat carting, and the lack of provision of adequate water supplies.
The group continued to agitate for change but the Government wanted the settlers to wait until the railway road was completed in 1907. The Government saw the granting of new Road Boards as duplicating spending in the district.
In 1909 the authorities realised the inevitable – that this large and rapidly growing district would require its own centre of administration.
However it was a local man, C.J. Moran, who called at the Department of Public Works regarding the formation of the Dumbleyung Road Board, with result that immediate instructions were issued for the creation of the DRB.
C.J. Moran was a man of enormous influence, a former parliamentarian, writer for the West Australian and Sunday Times newspapers, and a man acclaimed to be the future Prime Minister of Australia. However, he disagreed with the Premier of the day and instead, channelled his energies into farming at Tamacurring, Dongolocking.
By the end of 1909 the residents of Dumbleyung had elected their own Road Board representatives: George Manser (chairman), Arthur G. Rankine, John F. Lindsey (Nippering), Vivian G. Taylor (Pingarning), John Bairstow, Ezekial Ebsary and Jasmine Knott (Coarring). E.T. Conway was offered the office of Secretary and Supervisor.
The members met in the hall before the first office was built in 1911, where today the St. John Ambulance building stands. Fifty-one years later, in 1962, a wooden building was constructed on the corner of Dawson and Harvey Street, which is now the Dumbleyung Shire. Extensions were completed in 1991.
Special thanks to B.Bartram for supplying the information for this article.