A few steps Scamwatch (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) recommend are:
- Be alert to the fact that scams exist
- Know who you’re dealing with
- Do not open suspicious texts, pop-up windows or emails – delete them!
- Keep your personal details secure
- Keep your mobile devices and computers secure
- Beware of requests for your details or money
Westlink TV, available at the Dumbleyung CRC, has a half hour program to assist you with identifying scams that are targeting many West Australians. The program will show over a number of dates this December in the lead up to the festive season when you may be doing online shopping or similar.
The ‘Scam Alert information Session’ will air December 5th-9th and 12th-16th at 10.30am, 1pm and 3.30pm and is an initiative of the Department of Commerce, WA ScamNet. The information sessions are designed to assist consumers identify scams and how to efficiently deal with them. Cost is a gold coin donation and you must register with Ally at the CRC (phone - 9863 4829) the day and time you’d like to view.
Some information for this article has been provided from http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/get-help/protect-yourself-from-scams