1. It’s great to have another accommodation option available in our Shire. Can you tell us what Dumbleyung Holiday Cottage offers visitors?
Our holiday cottage is a very comfortable and relaxed home consisting of two queen size rooms, one king single room and a sitting room/activity which converts into additional sleeping space with a day bed and a queen size inflatable euro bed and a pot-a-cot for little ones (total of 8 adults).
The rest of the home consists of 1 bathroom, kitchen/dining area, laundry/toilet and a huge family room with heaps of comfortable lounge seating and floor cushions, a large TV, a cosy wood fire for winter and spilt systems aircon in all rooms.
There is a large uncover patio with a small BBQ available for guests use and plenty of parking front and rear of the property (room for a trailer/boat and more in the backyard). A complimentary continental breakfast is included.
2. What made you think to and/or why did you want to open Dumbleyung Holiday Cottage?
Originally we purchased the property to house staff for B & J Bracknell Haulage and as this is no longer a requirement. I decided to give the house a new life, a heap of T.L.C. and to offer the town another option for short term accommodation while providing some good honest country hospitality to visitors.
3. We understand you renovated a lot of the building yourself, can you provide any tips about DIY?
I have some input in the renovations so far but have been lucky enough to work with one of our local tradies in Wayne McAlindon from Patriot Painting who has done a magnificent job and offered no end of amazing advice and guidance with the end result being just what I have envisaged for the property. It’s totally given the house a new lease of life.
This is an ongoing project so there will be more to come and as for DIY tips –
- Be realistic about what you what to achieve on the budget you have
- Don’t overestimate your ability to complete work, open to engaging quality trades people.
- When the project feels like it’s getting a bit tough step back, take a breath, re-evaluate and let what inspired you to start, inspire you to keep going and enjoy it when it’s completed.
- Make sure your project has all the required permits and approvals.
Bookings are completely flexible, a couple can book or a whole family can stay a night or a week I am happy to best accommodate what each guest is looking for. Our website is near completion and at present bookings can be arranged by contacting Shelly on 0488 109 214. If you have a group of family or friends coming for a local event such as Taste of Dumbleyung or Woolorama and don’t have the space to accommodate them all this is the perfect solution.
5. Where do you see Dumbleyung Holiday Cottage in five years’ time and/or what do you have planned for the business in the future?
Where do I see the cottage in five years’ time – possibly looking for a new owner as this will be retirement time for us, ask me again in five years!