- Musica Viva attended early last week with a performance everyone enjoyed by the percussion ensemble B’tutta. Students were introduced to marimbas and vibraphones with many opportunities to perform and interact with the group.
- Dates to remember
- September 11 – Kindys attend school
- September 15 – Athletics Carnival at Broomehill (no Kindy)
- September 19 – Middle Room Assembly 2.30pm
- September 22 – Last day of term three
- School Photos Reshoot- Tuesday September 12th the entire school photo and Leadership group photos will be taken outside the play areas. Please ensure your child wears the correct uniform.
- Uniform Sale reduced – In preparation for the arrival of the new uniform the price on old uniforms has been reduced. Green and yellow polo’s $5 and rugby jumpers $10. For more information contact uniform coordinator 0427 634 714.
Dumbleyung Faction Athletics Carnival: Kersley vs Cronin
The music started and the children proudly marched to attention to their factions, although many with a slight sense of nerves and butterflies. The green Kersley flag proudly billowed in the breeze and the gold of the Cronin flag flapped with excitement. Which faction was going to win? The students were pumped with excitement at the prospect of competing and doing their best!
This was the scene last Thursday August 31 at Stubbs Park. Dumbleyung Primary School’s Faction Athletics Carnival saw families setup with picnic rugs, hampers and shelters. Jumps were first, which ran like clockwork thanks to our well-rehearsed parent helpers recording and measuring our students’ spectacular efforts. Many records were broken, which was wonderful to see after weeks of practice at school.
200 metre girls and boys running races begun with Jasmine Cronin in year two setting a new record for her race of 40.3 seconds. Congratulations! The 50 metre races began and what spectacular races these were to watch. The children ran their legs off and performed extremely well, making the competition very close. It finish required a the video playback on the iPad to ensure the correct place getters were rewarded! Congratulations to Bridie Bartram who set a new record for the girls Kindergarten/Pre-Primary 50 metre race with a time of 11.91 seconds!
The weather began to turn with a very brief light shower but cleared quickly leaving the day sunny and pleasant. It didn’t deter any families who had come to support the children, as they all kept their camps set up and in front row viewing of the track! Thank you for your grit!
Flag races, ball and spoon and 400 metre races concluded the morning session before breaking for lunch. Children sat with families and enjoyed picnic lunch with Mum, Dad, siblings, Nans, Pops and other extended family members. The support was impressive and always wonderful to see, as it sees our students grow with confidence!
After lunch, the team events began with mixed corner spry, passball, leaderball, tunnel ball and relays. The last race of the day was the 800 metre which saw Lachlan Hesse break the Year 5/6 record with a time of 3minutes and 20.03seconds, and graduating student Evelyn Bennett setting a record for the girls 800metre Year5/6 race with a time of 3 mins 48.44 seconds, narrowly beating Sydnee Wright. Congratulations to them both - it was a fitting finale to the day!
Kersley took home the trophy this year with 309 points followed by Cronin on 253 points. Congratulations to all students on their individual and team efforts, it was wonderful to see such a fine display of sportsmanship and ‘Commitment to Achieve’!
A huge thank you to the staff of Dumbleyung Primary School who put many hours into coordinating the day, especially Tamara Bartram. A very big thank you to our families and friends who assisted throughout the day with your various jobs. Lastly thanks to the P&C for their fine job of marking out the oval. We all look forward to next year’s athletics faction carnival and the lovely community day it offers.
Article by, Melanie Ball (Principal, Dumbleyung Primary School)