Relatives and friends helped with financial donations and the residents of the district were a wonderful help in carting a lot of the stone from the quarry on 'Dyliabing', Mr Warren's property seven miles away.
Mr. Warren and son Gilbert did the quarrying of the soap stone using dynamite to blast it out. There is a jade stone above the foundation stone that came from the old family farm property in South Australia, 30 miles from Adelaide.
The Architects were Messrs Eales & Cohen of Perth. The stone masons, Mr Thorpe and Mr Wright. The lime came from Mr. E.A. Clegg's property just south of the Church.
Most of the pews and other fittings were donated. The bell was given by a relative in England who had it sent out from there. The roof was originally sheoak shingles and was later replaced with tiles and now tin.
The block of land on which the Church stands was donated by Mr. R.L. Richardson who owned the Badgebup Store. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. J.C. Warren on the 4th February, 1922 in the presence of Bishop Wilson of Bunbury, Canon Burbidge rector of the Parish, and a crowd of local residents.
The Church was consecrated by Archbishop C.L. Riley (owing to the illness of Bishop Wilson) on the 16th September, 1922.
The first christening in the Church was on the 23rd April, 1922 when there was no roof or floor in the building. The first wedding was in September, 1923.
The red flowering gum in the Churchyard was planted in 1934 by Sir Maurice Hankey (Secretary to the British Cabinet) who was a cousin of the Warren family and was out here on matters of defence. Sir Francis Newdegate, when passing through by train, stopped as arranged and came across and planted a tree.
Above written by CicelyBlackall (n. Clegg) prior to the 1980s. Her Mother was Meg Warren.
Note - 2007. Monthly Anglican services are held in the Church. It is Heritage Listed. The jade stone has been stolen - dug out of the wall. Two brass artillery shell casings used as altar vases, a brass cross (and maybe other things) also stolen.
The Church was surrounded and the porch singed by a large Bushfire in December, 2005. All trees and bush were damaged - most killed. I doubt the red gum survived but must check.
St Peters is on the Katanning – Nyabing Road, about 35 km from Katanning or you can go via Sturgess - Datatine South Road off the Dumbleyung / Nyabing Road. It has a website with a map; search St Peters Badgebup.
Article provided by Sue McDougal