The following is a reminder of what the General Store currently has and what we stand to lose if we do not support it. Please note, this is not to say one must never step foot outside of our own store. That is not realistic or practical.
There are many benefits to the local community from having the Dumbleyung General Store.
1. Convenience: it is open five and a half days a week, 8.00am till 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 8.00am -12.00pm Saturdays.
2. The General Store takes orders by phone, email and fax.
3. Out of town orders can be dropped off at your gate by mail or school bus runs.
4. Your catering orders can be dropped at the store for you to pick up on the day required. A catering account can be set up so the volunteer can book the items down that she/he requires.
5. Un-opened items from a catering event can be returned and a refund given.
6. Items can be sourced for catering during the event. No-one is perfect and quite often a quick trip to the General Store is required for that extra item needed or something missed off the order. Last minute emergencies are impossible to source if the nearest shop is miles away!!
7. The General Store is a major sponsor of all our local clubs, year in year out. Sponsorship for local clubs from an out of town business is difficult to obtain if not impossible.
8. The General Store provides an essential Post Office Service.
9. The General Store is a Lottery West Agent. Some-one is going to win the big one, one day!!
10. The General Store has butcher's meat, fruit and vegetables and milk delivered fresh twice weekly and bread delivered daily. Butcher’s meat and bread can be ordered in as needed.
11. The General Store has highly competitive weekly specials.
12. The General Store provides employment opportunities both full time and part time to a number of locals.
13. The staff provides friendly personal service.
14. It means there is a service available locally for the elderly, non-drivers and those without a car.
15. It adds soul to our town. Try saying hello to everyone as you do your shopping, it's good for you!!
16. Take your children in to the General Store and let them push the children's trolley. Teach them about shopping, money and to acknowledge that the staff are people who are there to help all customers.
17. Because the General Store has meat and bread delivery services, pharmacy items from Wagin and Narrogin can also be delivered.
18. Did you know for just $20 you can become a shareholder and receive benefits which include a cash rebate twice yearly on the purchases you have made during that period.
It is not history or fait accompli that the General Store will close. We in this close community are in charge of our own destiny.
Be proactive; support your entire community, SHOP LOCAL!!
Article by Helen Gooding (a concerned resident Dumbleyung)